We have a busy time ahead as we come to the end of the 2010 Rating List and the new list goes live on 1st April 2017. The valuation date is set as 1st April 2015 and the Valuation Office have now completed their revaluation process in readiness for draft Rateable values to be available to download on 1st October this year.
The government’s commitment to reform the system has seen a consultation document named ‘’check, challenge, appeal’ for which the fine detail is expected over the coming months. What we do know is that more detailed submissions will be required at an earlier stage in the process, with a view to speeding up the process and eliminating the vast quantities of unsubstantiated appeals.
What does all this mean to the ratepayer?
With such uncertainty in the system it remains vital to receive professional advice on your business rates liability as the appeal process is likely to demand fully evidenced and justified appeals with even less onus on the Valuation Office Agency to justify their valuation. The Check Challenge Appeal consultation proposes fees for submitting appeals to the Valuation Tribunal so there will be an incentive to get the application correct to avoid resubmissions.
What can Vickery Holman provide you with?
- Years of relevant experience and success in ratings appeals in the core commercial sector and leisure industry
- Advise on the merits of appealing your new RV once it is available in October
- Pro active advice to assist in reducing rates liability through the life of the list
- Calculations of your revised liability to help you with future budgeting.
- Check if there is any merit in lodging an appeal under the current Rating List.
For a free informal discussion please contact Nicola Murrish, on 01872 245602