A fantastic new project has launched on Sidwell Street, and it needs our support!
Photographer Brendan Barry (who you might have seen about town with his giant walk-in cameras) is attempting to turn one of the long-empty buildings on Sidwell Street into a community arts space. Funding is needed to create studios, gallery space, darkroom, project spaces and to make the building safe, light and warm. This project will provide opportunities for local artists and for the whole community, including those who may not have easy access to the arts. If you can support, please check out the Crowdfunder page – there are some amazing rewards available and the project will be a wonderful addition to Sidwell Street and the City!
We are seeking to raise funds for the development of a creative and cultural working and teaching space with a focus on community engagement and collaborative practice in a disused retail unit on Sidwell Street in Exeter.
The intention is to build a creative visual arts hub that operates to support various communities within Exeter and beyond. The space will provide..
- 6 x Artist Studios – Space for creatives to make work and develop personal projects.
- Project Space – Large street level accessible communal space that workshops and classes can be run in.
- Gallery – Displaying artwork, both group and individual shows.
- Darkroom – Range of enlargers and equipment for processing and printing work.
- Photography Studio – Professional studio lighting and backdrops.
- Library – Books, journals and periodicals for reference and research.
- Meeting Space – Space for creatives to meet & discuss thoughts, plans, projects & proposals.
- Resident charities & organisations – Office and studio space for local groups.
- Study Space – Quiet space for individual study.
Before we can start work on activating the space we need to make the building safe and accessible. The money raised will go towards essential electrical and plumbing works, ensuring wheelchair access and the installation of a disabled loo, renovation of communal work spaces and artist studios, cleaning, painting and decorating, fire safety precautions and a heating system, all to make the building safe, warm and accessible for all.
Find out more > https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/positivelightprojects#start