- Stagecoach is ranked 36th in the Top 100 Apprenticeship Employers, for transport and logistics apprenticeships
- Stagecoach South West celebrates one of the largest number of local apprentices taking part in the Level 2 Bus Driver Apprenticeship across the UK
- The workplace course is delivered over 12 months and offers fully paid training to guide new drivers through every step of their new career, including gaining a PCV licence
The Level 2 Bus Driver apprenticeship, co-delivered by Realise and Stagecoach, is a level 2 course delivered in the workplace over a period of 12 -14 months. The high quality, innovative programme has been recognised in the 2022 Top 100 Apprenticeship Employers, with Stagecoach Group placing 36th across the UK. The annual employer rankings, launched in 2020, were developed by the Department of Education, to rate the nation’s top apprenticeship employers. Employer’s are recognised for their commitment to employing apprentices, the creation of new apprenticeships, the diversity of their apprentices, and the number of apprentices who complete their apprenticeships and progress further with the employer.
Stagecoach have been working in partnership with Realise to co-deliver the Passenger Transport Bus Driver apprenticeship since 2018, leading the way for Passenger Transport Apprenticeships within the Industry. The course uses a combination of practical training and off-the-job learning providing a package of more comprehensive training to teach the many skills needed to be a good bus driver. Sessions include a key focus on safety, excellent driving ability, first class customer service skills, good decision-making skills and the ability to deal with challenging situations.
The programme is carefully designed to offer support and guidance to guide new starters all the way through the process to gain their PCV licence and the driver’s certificate of professional competence. Sessions also coach learners to excel in the End Point Assessment (EPA) for this apprenticeship standard.
Covering a range of topics designed to help staff in their role as a bus driver, the course offers a variety of workshops, classroom sessions and on bus tutorials to train new recruits to build on the already high standards the company have in place to deliver high quality driving, excellent customer service and a key focus on safety. Bus driving apprentices have 10 workshops to attend with their Realise Training and Development Officer, in addition to driving licence training, the national driver training programme and mentoring with Stagecoach. Realise also deliver Functional Skills qualifications to all bus driving apprentices, up to Level 2 in both Maths & English. All apprentices are paid the moment they start the course, offering a great environment to earn whilst they’re learning.
Stagecoach has openings across the region for new starters interested in the apprenticeship scheme. The company have a variety of openings in Exeter, including positions at Exmouth, Lapford, Okehampton, Sidmouth and Tiverton, vacancies in Torquay, including Newton Abbot and Paignton, opportunities in Barnstaple to include Bude and Torrington and also in Plymouth with additional vacancies at Dartmouth and Tavistock. Apprentices will be offered a package of benefits for signing up:
- A brand new basic rate of £12.76 per hour from August, rising to £13.01 per hour from December
- Guaranteed minimum 39 hours
- Part time work available, based on a 3 day week
- Company Pension and sick pay scheme
- 20 days holiday per year rising 1 day per year up to a maximum of 5, plus 8 bank holidays.
- Free bus travel for you, your partner and up to 2 children
- Great first job with loads of opportunity for progression
- Access to High Street discounts – from designer brands, household items, major supermarkets, cinema, days out and a variety of restaurants.
- Access to a variety of flexible shifts to suit all
- The peace of mind of job security
- Free training, plus you can earn while you learn
- No experience necessary you’ll just need to have held a driving licence for at least 1 year
- Paid sickness leave at a rate of 60%
You can apply online via stagecoachbus.com/careers – you won’t even need a CV to submit your application!
Stagecoach South West Operations Director Katie Wagstaff said; ‘Realise and Stagecoach have developed a key partnership to promote and invest in apprenticeship training to create a highly skilled workforce. The carefully developed programme is expertly delivered to ensure our local team offer the best possible service for the millions of people who use our buses every day across the South West.”
Kairon Flowers, Head of Transport for Realise said “This is a fantastic achievement not only for the learners, but for the Stagecoach and Realise team who have passionately designed, implemented, and delivered this apprenticeship. We look forward to celebrating future successes together.”